Thursday, 31 March 2016

Skin Prepping For The Colder Months

Left to Right - Avene Gentle Milk Cleanser, Clinique Even Better Dark Defense SPF 50/PA++++, Foreo Luna for Normal Skin, Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask, Dr Jart Ceramidin Cream, L'Occitane Shea Butter Cream in Rose and Vanilla


At this point, I'm not sure if we'll have Winter at all here in Sydney. It's supposed to be Autumn but we've been having 25+ degrees days.

Still, I'm very conscious that I might be wrong and then we'll have a full blown Winter where my skin will shrivel up and never unwrinkle itself.

God, what a terrible visual!

Since I know colder weather is up ahead for us, I'm starting to make a mental note of the products that I'll be using to ease myself into winter. For me, skincare has always been about hydration. You'll find that a lot of issues can be remedied by using more hydrating, whether that be oil or water based, products.

Here are some of the things I'll do as we move towards the colder months.


1. Switch to a milk cleanser
When it starts to get cold, I always move onto a milk cleanser because they feel less harsh and drying on my skin. Avene's Gentle Milk Cleanser has been my go-to cleanser for years now and I'm not sure why I've never reviewed it here! It is so gentle than I can use it when my skin is feeling irritated, rough or it's looking red due to wind burn. 

Once or twice a week, I'll go in with my Foreo Luna Cleansing Device for Normal Skin and do some exfoliation. The thing I love most about the Foreo Luna is that it is very effective for deep cleansing, especially around the nose and directly under your bottom lip. I also like using it on the side of my neck for lymphatic draining!


2. Wear sunscreen
A friend of mine says she doesn't wear sunscreen during the colder months and I absolutely went into lecturing mode! Just because it's not sunny outside, doesn't mean there's no UV rays out there!

Remember to find yourself a reliable sunscreen that products against UVA and UVB - this way you're covered against harmful UV rays that age and burn the skin. I'm a big, big fan of Clinique's Even Better Dark Spot Defense SPF 50/PA ++++ in Sheer Tint. It has a high SPF and PA protection, and it has no white cast whatsoever. It's a little oily when first applied but that does wear off quickly. 


3. Opt for a rich moisturiser
When it starts to get real cold, I whip out my Dr Jart Ceramidin Cream (which is also due for a proper review!). It's essentially a heavy duty version of Dr Jart's Ceramidin Light Cream and it does wonders for weathered sensitive skin. It has a highly emollient texture and does wonders at repairing dry and cracked skin.


4. Lock in moisture with a sleeping mask
To quickly rescue my skin from the heater or wind, I reach for Clinique's Moist Surge Overnight Mask. I love using sleeping masks when I'm too exhausted to use my sheet masks. I've tried a few sleeping creams and this Clinique one is still one of my favourites - it's not too heavy, is oil free and you wake up looking like you've had 8+ hours of sleep!


5. Have hand cream on stand by
I try to also not neglect my hands! Although it costs an arm and a leg, I do have a soft spot for L'Occitane's Shea Butter Hand Creams. My favourite scent is, of course, rose but their vanilla one is not bad! I usually keep a large size on my bedside table and have miniature tubes in my handbag for when I need to reapply it during the day.


6. Always having a fresh razor on hand*
I'm a sometime shaver and I know the headache that comes with a dull blade. If you're going over the same place over and over with a blunt shaver, you're causing skin irritation and dryness. The Dollar Shave Club introduced itself to me a little earlier and they're a subscription service that sends fresh razors to your door each month. That will be pretty handy if you're a regular shaver!


Whereabouts are you located? Is it getting colder or warmer for you? 





*I was contacted by the Dollar Shave Club to write this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment